The zoom meeting was very well attended. A quick summary of the opportunity to claim 2/3 of up to £5,000 (100% of £10,000 for those on benefits) for energy saving work to your own or rented home is available to download here: Takeaway sheet v1
The slides and further information are available at https://highgatesociety.com/place/sustainable-living/retrofit-your-highgate-home/.
The full report is Haringey Clean Air Group People’s Assembly Report.
Key suggestions from participants were:
– support should be given first to those areas in most social need
– Haringey Council should be a driver and exemplar of change through
– raising public awareness eg through schools and social media to create a shared vision
– further People’s Assemblies and neighbourhood meetings on eg the Edmonton Incinerator
– support for a transition away from fossil fuels and reduced car use
– an electric transition for private, public and commercial vehicles
– incentives for local businesses to go green
– enforcement of anti-pollution laws
– monitoring of air quality and live data alerts to residents and workers
-TfL and Mayor of London have major roles in planning and coordinating for the whole area eg cycle routes, low traffic neighbourhoods, expansion of the ULEZ, subsided public transport.